My research interests focus primarily on interpersonal processes and I tend to take a person-by-situation interaction approach in most of my work. More specifically, my studies fall into three broad areas focused on: (1) the role of interpersonal expectations in social interaction; (2) motivations for volunteerism and community involvement; and (3) self-perceptions and self-regulation in close relationships. I try to utilize a blend of field and laboratory studies with the goal of contributing to the understanding of significant social issues and the advancement of social psychological theory simultaneously. From 2012, I have been Executive Editor of the Journal of Social Psychology.
- Applied Social Psychology
- Close Relationships
- Helping, Prosocial Behavior
- Interpersonal Processes
- Motivation, Goal Setting
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
- Self and Identity
- Ah Gang, G. C., & Stukas, A. A. (2015). The effects of reciprocity, type of relationship, and culture on relationship processes. Jurnal Psikologi Malaysia, 29(2), 20-31.
- Brown, J. N., Stukas, A. A., & Evans, L. (2013). Appearance feedback in intimate relationships: The role of self-verification and self-enhancement. Body Image, 10, 131-134.
- Clary, E. G., Snyder, M., Ridge, R. D., Copeland, J., Stukas, A. A., Haugen, J., & Miene, P. (1998). Understanding and assessing the motivations of volunteers: A functional approach. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 74(6), 1516-1530.
- Collins, D. R., & Stukas, A. A. (2008). Narcissism and self-presentation: The moderating effects of accountability and contingencies of self-worth. Journal of Research in Personality, 42(6), 1629-1634.
- Ewing, V. L., Stukas, A. A., & Sheehan, E. P. (2003). Student prejudice against gay male and lesbian lecturers. Journal of Social Psychology, 143(5), 569-579.
- Giacobbe, M. R., Stukas, A. A., & Farhall, J. (2013). The effects of imagined versus actual contact with a person with a diagnosis of schizophrenia. Basic and Applied Social Psychology, 35, 265-271.
- Honeyman, K. L., Stukas, A. A, & Marques, M. D. (in press, published online March 2016). Human trafficking: Factors that influence willingness to combat the issue. Journal of Applied Social Psychology. doi: 10.1111/jasp.12381
- Nicholls, E., & Stukas, A. A. (2011). Narcissism and the self-evaluation maintenance model: Effects of social comparison threats on relationship closeness. Journal of Social Psychology, 151(2), 201-212.
- Snyder, M., & Stukas, A. A. (1999). Interpersonal processes: The interplay of cognitive, motivational, and behavioral activities in social interaction. Annual Review of Psychology, 50, 273-303.
- Stukas, A. A., Bratanova, B., Peters, K., Kashima, Y., & Beatson, R. M. (2010). Confirmatory processes in attitude transmission: The role of shared reality. Social Influence, 5(2), 101-117.
- Stukas, A. A., & Cumming, G. (2014). Interpreting effect sizes: Toward a quantitative cumulative social psychology. European Journal of Social Psychology, 44, 711-722. doi: 10.1002/ejsp.2019
- Stukas, A. A., Hoye, R., Nicholson, M., Brown, K., & Aisbett, L. (2016). Motivations to volunteer and their associations with volunteers’ well-being. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 45, 112-132. doi:10.1177/0899764014561122
- Stukas, A. A., Snyder, M., & Clary, E. G. (2016). Understanding and encouraging volunteerism and community involvement. The Journal of Social Psychology, 156, 243-255.
- Stukas, A. A., Snyder, M., & Clary, E. G. (1999). The effects of “mandatory volunteerism” on intentions to volunteer. Psychological Science, 10(1), 59-64.
- Stukas, A. A., Worth, K. A., Clary, E. G., & Snyder, M. (2009). The matching of motivations to affordances in the volunteer environment: An index for assessing the impact of multiple matches on volunteer outcomes. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 38(1), 5-28.
- Tanti, C., Stukas, A. A., Halloran, M. J., & Foddy, M. (2011). Social identity change: Shifts in social identity during adolescence. Journal of Adolescence, 34, 555-567.
- Wright, B. J., O’Halloran, P. D., & Stukas, A. A. (2016). Enhancing self-efficacy and performance: An experimental comparison of psychological techniques. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, 87(1), 36-46. doi:10.1080/02701367.2015.1093072
- Snyder, M., & Stukas, A. A. (2007). Interpersonal processes in context: Understanding the influence of settings and situations on social interaction. In K. Fiedler (Ed.), Social communication (Frontiers of Social Psychology series, J. Forgas & A. Kruglanski, series eds., pp. 363-388). New York: Psychology Press.
- Stukas, A. A., Clary, E. G., & Snyder, M. (2013). Recruiting and retaining youth mentors. In D. L. DuBois & M. J. Karcher (Eds.), Handbook of youth mentoring (2nd Ed., pp. 397-410). Newbury Park, CA: Sage.
- Stukas, A A., Snyder, M., & Clary, E. G. (2015). Volunteerism and community involvement: Antecedents, experiences, and consequences for the person and the situation. In D. A. Schroeder & W. Graziano (Eds.), The Oxford handbook of prosocial behavior (pp. 459-493). New York: Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/oxfordhb/9780195399813.013.012
Arthur A. Stukas
Department of Psychology and Counselling
404 George Singer Building
La Trobe University
Bundoora, Victoria 3086
- Phone: 61 3 9479 1515
- Fax: 61 3 9479 1956